Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 11:06:07 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

>> Have you done any systematic tests of the relative performance of
>> the N2 (which uses the ISA bus) and the N2pci (which uses the PCI bus) ?
>
>No, I used a 486 for the ISA development and a Pentium for the N2pci
>development.

We did testing (we had a dual-T1 PCI board on the table in March), and the
results
were not significant for 1 or 2 T1lines, which is pretty much why we
scrapped it and
decided to do something different. Given that the design of the processor
allows for full
bandwidth utilization, the overall gain is minimal. the vast majority of the
processing
time is in software.  When you get to about 10Mbs aggragate bandwidth (which is
about 5 T1 with average full-duplex usage of 2Mbs), you get a worthwhile gain.

The ethernet ISA-to-PCI differences are much more dramatic, mainly because
the ISA
cards had processors and designs that were not capable of filling the
bandwidth (ie, there
was no auto-transmit, generally only 2 transmit buffers, etc)..plus you're
talking about 10Mbs.

Dennis