Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:16:37 +0200
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.docb.mk

On 1998-08-26 10:46:03 +0100, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
> > A sample makefile for tutorials/devel:
> >
> > DOC=    devel
> > VOLUME= tutorials/${DOC}
> > SRCS=   ${DOC}.docb
> >
> > .include <bsd.docb.mk>
>
> Sorry, don't like it. Specifically, it assumes that DocBook documents are
> going to have a .docb suffix (something I thought had been discussed
> back in March/April this year).

I can modify bsd.docb.mk so it will work for .sgml and .docb
suffix.

> The body of doc/en/handbook/Makefile can probably be used as a starting
> point. The suffix files for .sgml.html works out the DTD of the source
> .sgml file and then tries to do the right thing (i.e., it converts .sgml
> files that are in the HTML DTD using sgmlnorm, it converts .sgml files
> that are in the DocBook DTD using Jade (although it could use instant).

The DTDs are converted to different formats. linuxdoc create ps,
ascii and HTML. Docbook currently only HTML. I don't know
an easy way to handle this.

> I think using the file suffix to use the DTD is wrong, particularly when
> the website doesn't follow the same rules.

I prefer a makefile variable. E.g.

SGMLDTD=docbook

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org> http://freebsd.org/~w/