Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:36:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        abial@nask.pl (Andrzej Bialecki)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: There was PicoBSD - let there be a Mini...

> Hi!
>
> I seem to have some crazy ideas from time to time... Here's one of them.
>
> I propose to add another type of installation combined with a special
> distribution set. The idea behind it is to let people who are completely
> new to FreeBSD just try the system without really installing it (which

i was thinking about the same thing, since recently tried something
similar with diskless, and MFS filesystem backed on a DOS partition
is reasonably fast now, and long name support (I used Luqi Chen patches
with 2.2.5 and 2.2.6) is also working.

> Here's what the setup would be like:
>
> * the whole installation (available in sysinstall :-) would place FreeBSD
> on an existing DOS partition.  Installation program would create the file
> with filesystem on it (which will then be mounted on a vn(4) device). This
> will require (well, it depends) ca. 16-24MB of free space on a DOS
> partition.

you'd need this much space just for the swapfile.

I was thinking of a slightly different approach, where you mount all
the binaries from a CD (with the 16X CDs available nowadays, speed is
not as terrible as it was with 2X drives), and the DOS file is very
small, containing only (a portion of) the root partition with kernel,
/sbi, /etc, /var... . Home directories can go into the DOS partition,
so they can be shared with DOS.

	cheers
	luigi