Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:14:05 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        nagylzs@enternet.hu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thin terminals for FreeBSD

> - Is there a more cost-effective solution? (Something that I did not
> think of)

We used to build (well my colleague did that) X terminals based on a
thin configuration of freeBSD (must have been version 2 at that time)
that we ran on diskless computers booting from floppy. At that time we
ran it on pentium 100 MHz, with something between 16 and 32 MB RAM,
over a 10 MB shared Ethernet.

All applications ran on the cental server, and X terminals were just
that: display devices.

It was a bit slow, you could not look at a video, but otherwise it
worked.

Of course you need more horse power on the server, but if you have a
set of old PC with similar video adapters, that's an easy solution to
deploy once one machine is up.

Olivier