Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:58:46 +0200
From:      Marian Hettwer <mh@kernel32.de>
To:        Passive PROFITS <passiveprofits@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Update - & thanks! :)

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:09:41 -0700 (PDT), Passive PROFITS
<passiveprofits@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First off, I wimped out (shame really) and installed
> DesktopBSD as I was already at least 'glance' familiar
> with KDE from Ubuntu Linux.  This gave me some
kde exist in FreeBSD, too :)

> A false start later (messed up the Network Config), I
> got a working install of FreeBSD up and running - hip
> hip hooray! :)

This happens... sysinstall ain't the nicest tool for a beginner. I did my
mistakes back in 1999 too ;)

> I've decided there is no use punishing myself so I
> have decided to put on a desktop - Gnome.  I started
> this download/compile/install like about 24 hours ago,
> and it's still going strong.  Now I understand the
> difference between precompiled packages and building
> from source, even if only in terms of the time &
> resource constraints! :(

as root:
pkg_add -r gnome2
should install all gnome packages you need.
besides, www.freebsd.org/gnome is a good starting point :)

> NB:  nice to notice there is some Linux/BSD overlap in
> terms of apps etc; a lot more than I'd realised! ;)

Actually you'll find a lot of applications in FreeBSD ports where you
wouldn't find them as a debian package for instance :)
Especially in regards to the version of this specific software.
Example?
Debian Sarge --> No Apache 2.2
FreeBSD had this one ages before :)

regards,