Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 96 15:05:48 EST
From:      eischen@vigrid.com (Daniel Eischen)
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, grog@lemis.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Corrupted CVS updates

> > Have you applied any patches or changes to sys/conf/newvers.sh that
> > haven't come from the CVS tree?
>
> Yes, indeed, and that seems to be the problem.  CVS appears to have
> changed in this respect.  I'm just putting my trees together, and I get
>
> > # cvs update -P -d
> > cvs update: Updating .
> > ? bisdn
> > ? Make.log
> > cvs update: Updating conf
> > M conf/files
> > RCS file: /src/cvs/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh,v
> > retrieving revision 1.28
> > retrieving revision 1.29
> > Merging differences between 1.28 and 1.29 into newvers.sh
> > rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
> > cvs update: conflicts found in conf/newvers.sh
>
> Well, it may be a "warning", but it left this junk behind as well.  I
> don't believe that's correct: it should ignore changed files.

You can use the "-I" option to tell CVS to ignore files when
doing the update.  The man page says that CVS update will
merge the changes from the source repository to the working
directory.

> Here's a second one:
>
> > cvs update: Updating i386/include
> > cvs update: i386/include/bisdn_ioctl.h is no longer in the repository
> > cvs update: i386/include/bisdn_isdn.h is no longer in the repository
>
> I believe it's correct to remove files that have been removed from the
> repository; that's what the -d option is for.  But these two files
> were never part of the repository, and it's going to be a real pain to
> have to read them in again every time.

Yeah, you're right.  It would be easier if there were an option to
the update that wouldn't remove files that don't exist in the
repository.

Dan Eischen
eischen@pcnet.com