Date:      08 Jun 1998 22:17:25 -0600
From:      magus@xmission.com (Anthony C. Chavez)
To:        freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Let's get cracking (was Re: Hello?)

Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz> writes:

> Is it worth doing a kind of "hands-up" on who is actually subscribed to
> this list _and_ interested in hacking the source?
>
> I'm keen to get my hands dirty - but there seems hardly any point doing
> anything on my own if other people are already checking source in and out
> on a regular basis. If there is nothing coordinated going on, and other
> people are interested, could we get something started?

What a great idea. :-)  All right, hands up who wants to get busy coding?
<raises hand>

I'm definitely interested in putting some effort into the project.  I'm an
intermediate-level C programmer who is just *aching* to get a real test of his
abilities.

I believe in "deeds, not words," so I will appoint myself the following duty
unless anyone objects.

I will start taking the names and corresponding e-mail addresses down for those
interested in putting work into the project.  If you want your name and e-mail
put on the list, compose a message to the *mailing list*, not me directly.  And
do it now, not tomorrow.  Everybody should know everyone else (or at least have
a good idea of the numbers).

A couple of questions:

(1)	Does anyone know if a certain individual is in charge of the Mozilla
	project web page at http://www.FreeBSD.org/mozilla.html?
(2)	If not, does anyone know how we are supposed to submit pages to the web
	site?
(3)	Who is currently working on the project?  SPEAK UP!

I would suggest that we start immediately on a web page for the project,
placing on it the list of names that I collect as a start.  I would gladly
volunteer for this responsibility as well, if nobody objects.  Eventually,
with college a (very) large factor, I won't be able to moderate the web page on
my own, so I'll need volunteers for assistance.

We need to assimilate and start work (together) on the following items:

(1)	An agenda.  Basically a list of needs, wants, and parallels to
	mozilla.org's wish-list.  Eventually this should tie in with the name
	list to show appointed responsibilities.
(2)	An advocacy group if necessary.  This group would go around to various
	FreeBSD newsgroups, mailing lists, IRC channels, etc. to find
	*seriously* interested parties who would like to contribute.  Once the
	name list levels off and we have a clear idea of who (so far) is
	interested, this group should be assembled and deployed.
(3)	A FAQ.  It's not too early to start work on a FAQ that we can place on
	the web page and maintain as time goes by.

It's a bit late here and I'm getting sleepy, so if anyone else has any other
ideas, feel free to contribute!  Let's not let this project die a miserable,
flaming death!

--
Anthony Chavez <magus@xmission.com>

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh "BOB" D'lyeh Wgah'nagl Dhobbz f'htagn.