Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:02:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Sergei G <sergeig.public@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recommended laptop for FreeBSD 10.2 Xfce workstation?

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016, Polytropon wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2016 13:21:08 -0700, Sergei G wrote:
>> Older Dell laptop has been ok for me D630 (I don't remember if wireless
>> worked or not).
>
> I have successfully instantiated a Dell Latitude D630 with
> FreeBSD 10. Its wireless adapter is supported. All other
> components (such as regular network, audio and docking station)
> also work as expected. However, that is a quite "outdated"
> machine, but this definitely does _not_ imply that it's
> useless. I made it run Gnome which (in retrospect) was a
> stupid decision. ;-)
>
> Other older devices, such as IBM Thinkpad (now Lenovo) models
> T60p, R61i and R500 also work good with FreeBSD.

I've used Dell Core2 systems like the E1505 successfully.  Don't recall
which wireless card came with it, but I generally replace them with an
Atheros card.  No problems otherwise.  Such a system is usable if you
are willing to be somewhat patient for building world or very large
ports.  An SSD is not a luxury, it makes any system much more usable.

My current notebook is an Acer Aspire 5740 with a first-generation i5.
It has 10-stable, and I have not bothered to experiment with suspend.
This will hopefully soon be replaced by a Dell Haswell machine.  The 15W
CPU should make for a cooler-running system.