Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:28:23 +0300
To:        Jon Mercer <jon.mercer@achean.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrus IMAP with pam_mysql?

Hi and thanks for you reply!

> Welcome to nightmaresville. I struggled with this for yonks, and found
> that there were some other files that needed to be setup, e.g.:

F**k! I mean why does it have to be so difficult? In RedHat Linux I got
the same configuration up without any problems...

> ajax# cd /usr/local/lib/sasl2
> ajax# cat Cyrus.conf
> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
> ajax#

Ok, well added that there also. And then I read somewhere that the
pwcheck_method -line should be in imapd.conf too.

> There is at least one other one, and I'm trying to find it!
>
> Are you getting any trace out that you can post? I'd agree with you that
> it doesn't seem to be contacting the database. If you have a log against
> mysql, you could check this from the database end.

This was actually the other thing I was wondering about; a) where is
my.cnf in FreeBSD to config MySQL for and b) where does MySQL log the
queries? I would love to look into what pam really tries to do with
mysql - or doesn't.

The only thing I can trace back to is the line I get into /var/log/messages:

Aug 26 17:28:27 silakka imapd[3167]: login: my.machine[127.0.0.1] kypeli
plaintext

Yes, it works but it works dispite it shouldn't since I removed the line
from database with my username. In fact I read these postings with this
username that shouldn't work :)

> In my view, the docs for Cyrus fall a long way short of what is really
> needed!

Yep! And this isn't the first time I struggle with Cyrus and notice that
the docs are out of date and mailing lists/newsgroups are the only way
to get help. Thank god for them :)

But the wierdest thing is that I think it in fact does use pam to auth
but it uses the wrong service (a one that authenticates from
/etc/passwd). Can anyone verify if this is possible? What it the correct
service line for pam.conf?

> Cheers,
>
> Jon Mercer

Thanks,