Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:56:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      wayne@staff.msen.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   conf/16948: Sysinstall/disklabel: bad partition table when single->multiple slices

>Number:         16948
>Category:       conf
>Synopsis:       Sysinstall/disklabel: bad partition table when single->multiple slices
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When converting a SCSI disk from dedicated to FreeBSD with a single
partition to multiple slices, sysinstall leaves the OLD label on the
disk. Sysinstall reads and writes the new information but O/S fails
to boot because it is still reading the old, invalid table.
>How-To-Repeat:
Using sysinstall, dedicate the entire disk to FreeBSD.  I was doing
newfs and s/w installs of minimal config but that should not matter.
Reboot from floppy and allocate 2 slices of approximately equal size.
Problem occurs with both standard MBR and the FreeBSD boot
manager (the boot manager will simply beep when you hit F1).
Sysinstall will permit you to install s/w again but when you reboot
after the second install, up comes the dreaded
"Missing Operating System"
Going back in w/ sysinstall will show the NEW information, even though
the MBR is using the OLD info.  To see what is actually being used on
the disk, boot the fixit floppy and
disklabel -r sd0

>Fix:
Once I determined what was going on, I worked around the problem by
doing a dd of /dev/zero to the disk and then re-doing the install.

I suggest that when the user deletes a slice from sysinstall, the
operation should be performed immediately, unlike creates which
can be deferred.