Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 00:14:01 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Hans Huebner <hans@artcom.de>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD HA configuration / Ethernet address takeover

> Why do it at the eternet level and not at the IP level? Doing it at the IP
> level will give the same functionality if the only protocol that you are
> using is IP. All the support is already there. Just set up two IP adresses
> on the server that is covering for the failing server, the normal IP and the
> IP of the failing server.
Because that requires re-arping of the IP address in the failover case.
Also, I'm not sure whether I want to restrict the HA configuration to IP
only.  Supporting AppleTalk failover would also be useful.

> If you do it at the ethernet level then the backup server can't be used for
> other things as its's ethernet adress will disapear if you change the ethernet
> adress on it.
For a good HA configuration, multiple ethernet interfaces are useful
anyway.  Also, many ethernet chips support multiple ethernet addresses on
a single ethernet interface.

Hans