Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 11:57:15 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, dsyphers@uchicago.edu, developers@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, nectar@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is 4.3 security branch officially "out of commission"?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 10:21:08AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> Maxim Sobolev wrote:

[snip]

> > What is the official procedure when somebody not from the security
> > team want to maintain older releases? For example, as I said there is
> > significant push from the local community to merge recent security
> > fixes into older releases, so that it is likely that they could
> > provide to me with tested patches for older releases they are
> > interested in. May I merge them into 4.3 security branch without my
> > commit bit being suspended for inappropriate MFCs into security
> > branch?
>
> Once you've obtained the permission of the security officer, you may
> commit any change to a _RELEASE tag.

ITYM, "you may commit any change to a RELENG_4_? branch." A *_RELEASE
tag should never ever, ever be touched.

But to repeat, you just need an,

  Approved by:	security-officer@

On any commits to a RELENG_?_? branch. (Not to confuse things, but re@
can also approve non-security changes that are deemed critical
bug-fixes to these branches.)