Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:38:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Publishing the FreeBSD handbook

> Walnut Creek are planning to make a printed version of the FreeBSD
> handbook.  This is something about which Walnut Creek and myself drew
> up a contract some years ago, when I first got involved with writing
> documentation for FreeBSD, so I'll be heading this particular effort.

Actually, Nik Clayton is already heading this particular effort so
please work with him rather than going off on your own tangent or
something.  By all means, whip the volunteers into a frenzy of
contributions if you think you can do so, but also realize that the
ultimate responsibility for the handbook and its organzation lies with
Nik and you can't just step into -doc and start a parallel effort
without stomping all over his toes and most of his feet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also happy to see you working more out in the
open rather than doing another totally independent effort in troff or
something, but we just got Nik signed up and "in harness" as the new
Docmeister and anything involve the Handbook simply has to go through
him or we're in for a world of confusion.  I've already communicated
as much to Walnut Creek / Bob Bruce and would be happy to see you
working with Nik to improve the handbook just so long as "with" is the
operative preposition.

If I've also read too much into this message and that's already
exactly what you have in mind (Nik driving the task list and Nik
totally behind this most recent "push") then please just ignore this
message as excessive paranoia on my part.

Thanks!

- Jordan