Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:46:20 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:11:55PM -0500, Rick C. Petty wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:48:47PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> > graid3/gmirror/gstripe tools covers it.  gvinum isn't as easy to use,=
=20
>=20
> I wouldn't say that at all!  It's one program to learn, not many.

The syntax of all geom(8) programs is the same. And actually most of the
GEOM classes (gconcat, geli, gjournal, glabel, gmirror, gnop, graid3,
gshsec and gstripe) are controlled by one program - geom(8), eg.

	# geom disk list
	# geom mirror label foo0 da0 da1
	# geom mirror label foo1 da2 da3
	# geom stripe label foo mirror/foo0 mirror/foo1
	# geom raid3 label bar da4 da5 da6
	# geom concat label baz stripe/foo raid3/bar
	# geom eli label concat/baz
	# geom eli attach concat/baz
	# geom journal label concat/baz.eli
	# geom label label complex concat/baz.eli.journal
	# newfs -J /dev/label/complex

> > I've found gmirror and gstripe to be fantastically stable.  So stable, =
I=20
> > never needed gvinum - but then I use hardware RAID for anything other=
=20
> > than striping and mirroring.
>=20
> Don't get me wrong-- I love gmirror and use it on almost all my root/swap
> volumes.  My preliminary testing showed gvinum to be significantly faster
> than gmirror for certain activities.

If you are talking about mirror in gvinum versus gmirror, I'd like to
know the details.

BTW. The volume manager from ZFS works already just fine, ie. one can
configure UFS on top of RAID-Z for example, but I'm not going to bring
it in before the entire port is ready.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy