Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 06:46:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Edward Wolpert <wolpert@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        K.J.Koster@kpn.com
Subject:   Re: Question: Java legal issues in layman's terms?

>*) Are we allowed to release a binary installation kit for
>   FreeBSD?

To quote from Sun's site:
  "Binary programs built using modified Java 2 SDK source code may not be
   distributed, internally or externally, without meeting the compatibility
   and royalty requirements described in the License Agreement "
   (http://http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/java2/)

Which leds me to believe 1) We need either the testing framework from sun,
which is quite expensive [Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK)], or 2) We
need sun's blessing.

The SCSL talks about exceptions for students in a classroom environment,
but not open orgs like FreeBSD. However the FAQ
(http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/faq.html) has an email address
(scsl_license@sun.com) that susposedly can answer questions. I would ask them
(and the blackdown org) what distrubtion policy they had to go through.

However, one interesting point on the license...

Section 3.d.ii States that the executable binary can be distrubited to
3rd parties for evaluation purposes only without further license
restrictions.... specifically,

  "You may distribute Executable version(s)
   of Covered Code to Licensees and other third parties only
   for the purpose of evaluation and comment in connection with
   Research Use by You and under a license of Your choice, but
   which limits use of such Executable version(s) of Covered
   Code only to that purpose."

>*) What are the issues with Motif? How do they affect our
>   porting effort?

I had believed that if we use LessTif then there were no issues here.
I don't know if that's accurate. Also, someone may know if there are
differences between the Motif 1.2 and 2.0 libs.

>*) Are we allowed to call it "Java" without Sun's approval?

The license states that some name and logo restrictions are lifted in certain
cases. I think it requires testing via the TCK, though...

>*) What other legal considerations have I not even thought
>   of?

Distrubution to some countries may not be allowed.

=====
Virtually,             |
 Edward Wolpert         | <wolpert@methodsystems.com>