Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 03:20:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gnu/30354: make buildworld is failing from 4.4-RC back down to 4.3-RELEASE

The following reply was made to PR gnu/30354; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To: Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:15:43 +0300

 On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:58:34PM -0700, Peter Elsner wrote:

 > >Number:         30354
 > >Category:       gnu
 > >Synopsis:       make buildworld is failing from 4.4-RC back down to 4.3-RELEASE
 > >Originator:     Peter Elsner
 > >Release:        4.4-RC
 > Using CVSUP, with tag set to RELENG_4, buildworld and installworld ran fine.  Afterwards, I noticed I was running 4.4-RC instead of 4.3-STABLE (or 4.3-RELEASE).  I decided to change my tag in my supfile to RELENG_4_3 and start over.  Sources all transferred fine, but now when I do a 'make buildworld', I get this error...

 Quite aside from the actual problem, 4.4-RC *is* 4.3-STABLE, or rather,
 4.4-RC is 4.x-STABLE, which has already passed the time it was called
 4.3-STABLE.  4.4-RC (RELENG_4) is really what you need if you want to
 run -stable.

 The 4.3 security branch (RELENG_4_3) is something very close to 4.3-RELEASE;
 the only differences are a couple (or 17) of security patches.  This branch
 does not get any of the new features introduced in -stable after the release
 of 4.3, it is meant to provide maximum backwards compatibility and ease of
 installation and maintenance for those who would rather stick with a -release
 rather than track -stable.

 G'luck,
 Peter

 --
 If this sentence were in Chinese, it would say something else.