Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:23:19 -0700
From:      Steve Leibel <stevel@coastside.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Overclocking AMD K6-'s and FreeBSD

At 4:08 PM -0700 6/12/00, Joey Garcia wrote:

>I have a FIC PA-2013 motherboard and I was looking at
>the 105 (bus speed) * 5.0 (multiplier) combination to
>get me to 525Mhz.  That's a 125Mhz differnce in CPU
>speed and a 5Mhz difference in bus speed (which might
>affect the PCI/AGP bus speeds as well).  I would
>assume that this is a conservative value.  Although,
>maybe someone more experienced would let me know if it
>would work or not.  Maybe I shouldn't even bother.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.  If you just want to
play with the hardware, then go for it.  But if you just want your
system to be faster, the question is, faster for what?  If you're
just running vi it's not going to make any difference.  If you're
serving up Web pages for a high-volume site, I think a faster disk
would make more difference than a faster CPU.

On the other hand if you're doing wind-tunnel simulations or trying
to crack RSA keys, CPU speed counts for a lot.

Steve L