Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:28:34 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        kc5vdj@yahoo.com
Cc:        kbstew99@hotmail.com, Dan <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: power supplies

Jim Bryant wrote:

> Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > There are problems with PSes when you use NICs with wake up
> > capability. The NIC may exceed the capability of one of your low
> > amperage voltages.
> >
> > Kent
>
> How much current can wake-on-LAN take?  I wouldn't think it would be enough to overload a power supply unless it overloaded the -12V
> line which is usually only rated in the mils.  What is the average 12V rating?  5-8 amps?  and even more for 5V?  I forget what the
> average -5V line is rated.

I don't remember which one it is. The -12v sounds likely. It was the one
in the milliamp range. The NICs came with a warning that the typical AT
power supplies were insufficient. I haven't bought one in a box for
quite a while and that was where I saw the warning.

Kent

> jim
> --
>           ET has one helluva sense of humor!
>      He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA
mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Carl Sagan quote on Seti@home
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/pale_blue_dot.html

It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).