Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:32:28 -0500
From:      Jeff Palmer <scorpio@sunline.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dot-0 releases

Pardon me if I make an idiot of myself..

But the whole "debate" (for lack of a better term) seems to be about
4.0-STABLE being STABLE.

Seems to me that if it's not meant for production machines,  it probably
should be -RELEASE   or -RC as opposed to -STABLE

I would say the label "-STABLE" should mean it's golden,  ready to go.
-RC would mean it's doing pretty well,  more people can trust it,  but not
quite production machine ready..
-RELEASE would mean  please play with it,  and report any bugs,  it
shouldn't crash on you,  or make 	you reformat,  but it's not really for
everyone..
-CURRENT would be like  "not for the weak"   expect problems,  and possibly
reformats..  unless you are 	good enough with unix/programming to debug
error messages.

For those of you who are questioning,  these are my interpretations of what
the labels SHOULD mean,  and not reality..

Something labeled "STABLE" in my definition  would mean ready for mass market
So maybe the switch to 4.0-STABLE was premature?

just my two cents..
Jeff Palmer
scorpio@sunline.net