Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:51:58 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Time FreeBSD ??

> What kind of RT do you need?

Just firm RT scheduling.

>You are aware, I suppose, that general
> purpose *nix system (such as *BSD an Linux) will never be a real RT
> without major changes.... So, the only thing you can get from it is
> modified scheduler and interrupt handling, but this buys you oonly so
> called "soft-RT"...

Yes, for hard realtime we should look at something like QNX. I am mainly
interested in having the ability to give a specific process priority
scheduling. Something like modified scheduler for Linux by MontaVista
Software inc, which does "preemptive" realtime scheduling. You can check
it out and download the source from:

http://www.mvista.com/realtime/rtsched.html

Something like this for FreeBSD would be great.

>As I understand, that's what the RTLinux project is
> about. And no, there is nothing exactly like this for BSDs, although you
> can find a couple of diffrent variations for scheduling algorithms.

Well, the RTLinux guys claim to support "Hard" realtime. Do you have any
pointers to where to find these algorithms?

--
Regards, Devin.