Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:37:10 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        plm@xs4all.nl (Peter Mutsaers)
Cc:        se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser), freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI NE2000 probe

On Nov 30, plm@xs4all.nl (Peter Mutsaers) wrote:
> I did configure my kernel properly now.
> Part of the verbose boot:
>
> pci0:10:    vendor=0x1050, device=0x0940, class=network (ethernet) int a irq 11 [no driver assigned]
>         map(10): io(ff40)

Ok. This is in fact the most important information about the card
and the PCI BIOS initialization of the port mapping used.

> In pci/ed*.c (forgot the exact name) I saw that a match is done for
> PCI NE2000 clones on some 'type' value to be 0x802910ec. (Vendor
> 10ec.). I changed this match to 0x09401050. Result: the card is

Hmmm, there appear to be THREE PCI NE2000 clones, then ...
Did you check the labels on your Ethernet chip ?

> 'recognized' as ed2 (ed0,1 were in the config file) but immediately I
> get a crash :-(

What kind of crash ???

> The linux kernel does probe it, but only after a special patch to the
> latest stable kernel. From dmesg on Linux:

Could you send me the original driver and the patch ?

> ne.c: PCI BIOS reports Winbond NE2000-PCI at i/o 0xff40, irq 11.
> ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
> NE*000 ethercard probe at 0xff40: 00 40 95 00 57 83
> eth0: NE2000 found at 0xff40, using IRQ 11.
>
> The strange thing is that Winbond vendor is 0x10ad, and the device ID
> is 0x0105 (instead of vendor 1050 and device 0940 as seen for pci0:10
> on FreeBSD).

No, that's only an indication that your card does not use THAT
NE2000 compatible Ethernet chip ... :)

> I hope someone can help me to get my NE2000 PCI clone to work under
> FreeBSD.

I think I can, but it may be a lot easier if I have access to such
a card. What did you pay for it, and where did you find it ???

Regards, STefan