Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:31:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        chris@bbcc.ctc.edu, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway Computers

Dunno if this makes a difference on the Raid, but I just got a deal
back from a Infortrend reseller for the FreeBSD community for a little
better pricing than retail...  This is on the SCSI-SCSI cards....   I've
been working on a FreeBSD Raid web site at:
  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/raid/
Not complete yet, but it has links to the Infortrend info...  Once
the complete thing is up I was intending to announce it generally, but
who knows when that will be :)

> Chris,
>
> I'm looking at two machines, one server-class and one workstation-class.
> I have only spec'd out the workstation at this point, and have attached an
> approximate spec below.  The server would most likely be a similar
> processor, more memory, strictly boring video support, and preferably
> RAID-capable SCSI interface.  Given that FreeBSD seems to support DPT RAID
> controllers best at this point, I was looking at that; also, a transparent
> "pretend to be adaptec" controllar would also work fine.  The server
> purchase might not be for several months; the workstation purchase in the
> next two months most likely.  This spec is essentially the same as the one
> I emailed out and did not get a response on.  Thanks for your help!
> Getting some form of vendor support/etc for the machine would be great.
>
> PII 400 or 450Mhz
> 128MB of memory
> 21" or greater monitor
> No need for 3d acceleration on the video card, but performance for video
> conferencing an large-scale window systems/frame buffers is important.
> Similarly, a sound card suitable for use in moderate quality
> video-conferencing.
> 10/100baset ethernet card
> SCSI disk subsystem with:
>   At least 6gig hard disk (largely disk cache for a distributed file
>   system such as AFS)
>   CD-ROM drive (any speed)
> Ergonomic keyboard, mouse
> No modem
> No need for a backup device
> No Applications
> FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE operating system, with X-windows (XIG or XFree86)
>

>   Robert N Watson
>
> robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
> PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C
>
> Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
> TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
> SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/

Ryan Mooney           Phone (602)265-9188         PCSLink
ryan@pcslink.com                            Internet Services
 NT is an excellent choice for managers who need to show that they used
 up their fiscal year budget for hardware/software expenditures.