Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        paulo@nlink.com.br
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  FBSD & PII

> I'm thinking to start use FBSD 3.0 with multi-processor but I would like
> to have in another partition my good friend FBSD 2.2.6 :-), is this
> possible? Did anyone do this?

It should be possible in theory, but I anticipate serious problems in
practice.  You would have to make sure that you always used the slice
specific disk device names and never the "compatibility" slice.

For example, your fstab would have to specify one of /dev/sd0s{1,2,3,4}f
instead of /dev/sd0f.  I am not sure how you would manage slice
selection during bootstrap, selecting the initial swap partition, and
initial mounting of the root file system.  I would worry about disk
utilities (such as the disklabel program) always doing the right thing.
I would worry about the FreeBSD installation process always using the
specified slice.

I guess I would worry a lot, but it might just work.
(good luck!)

Dan Strick
dan@math.berkeley.edu

P.S. It might be a lot easier to buy a second disk.
Disks are cheap these days (though not as cheap as
my management).