Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:09:55 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Virtual-scalable email

We have developed a product which we are sure will be of interest to
other ISPs.  It allows us to handle email for any number of users in any
number of domains, each with their own distinct user namespace, all on
an unlimited set of machines.

--------------------------------------
Some of the features that make this interesting are;

User names & passwords are stored in SQL tables and can be easily
added/deleted/modified from web forms.  As soon as a user is added via
the web form then they are able to receive email in the domain that they
were added to.

The radius server uses the same SQL tables for user authorisation and
authorises the user correctly within multiple domains whether the domain
name was appended to the username or not.

An unlimted number of machines can be deployed to handle incoming   mail
via SMTP and serve email to users via POP3.  Incoming email is stored
locally on each SMTP server.  The POP3 server collects the email from
all the machines when serving the email to the client.  So you can
define multiple mail servers for the domain and multiple IP addresses
for the POP server and whichever pop server the user connects to (by
virtue of round-robin DNS) they will get ALL of their email on ALL of
the servers.

-----------------------------------

We don't have a large userbase so we are interested in finding an ISP
with a large userbase who would be willing to test the scalability
aspects before we start to market the software.  If anyone is interested
in trying the software and has a userbase in excess of 10,000 users then
please let me know.

regards
damian

--