Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:48:41 -0900
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: html editor

David Johnson wrote:

snipped

> I would think that discussing which tools are available does not count
> as a technical question. It may be substantive, but still within the
> purvue of -newbie, IMHO. The answers given here on this topic will be
> just as valid (and varied) as answers given in -questions.
>
> Who can say that answering "vi" is any more right or wrong than
> answering "bluefish"? Remember, the question was NOT "how do I do
> <insert technical topic here>", but rather "What is a good html/php
> editor to install from ports or packages?"

I agree, this topic is more along the lines of an opinion based on
personal experience.

And newbies may have a more similar frame of reference for these types
of opinions than veterans, who may be expert in the text editor of
their choice and so find something like vi to be an easy way to edit
html.  As a newbie, I'm using vi for everything I do, so that in my
limited time for "playing" with UNIX-like operating systems I get
better at the text editor that's most universal yet still quite
powerful.  That said, I doubt that if I wanted to be productive (as in
paid work time) with html editing, as someone new to vi, that I would
choose vi for that, at least not yet anyway.  My limited experience
with html has all been on windows, but I still preferred text editors
with syntax highlighting and maybe some auto insertion of closing tags
to wysiwyg page layout type programs.

Someone's previous suggestion of the combination of Kwrite and
Konqueror sounded pretty good to me as a specific solution to the
original question.  I haven't gotten the chance to check out Konqueror
specifically, but kwrite was very simple/easy to use - I needed no
manual or cheat-sheet of keycodes to be productive, but I wasn't doing
html either.

> David

my two cents,