Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:49:40 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Open Source Development Laboratory ...

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:29:41PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Is this something that FreeBSD/BSDi are/is looking at becoming a member
> > of, or is this something that is purely a Linux thing?
> >
> > http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010123S0019
>
> It's purely a Linux thing.  BSDi tried to get involved in a couple of
> that sort of thing, and I've been putting my oar in where I could, but
> the combined lack of manpower and lack of funding has prettymuch left us
> out in the cold. 8(

Seconded.  From what I can tell, this is purely so that the companies
involved can find an effective way of making money from Linux.  Anything
that makes that possibility seem more remote (say, the publicising of a
more stable, robust, and scalable free alternative to Linux) is
completely anathema to them.  As well as the BSDi efforts from the US
I've been approaching the players from the European side, to no effect.