Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 22:05:25 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, jehamby@lightside.com, jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

Nate Williams wrote:

> I'm going to be committing code to the FreeBSD source tree that will
> enable new and wonderful laptop support.  This will allow most laptops
> to work wonderfully, modulo a few bugs, but it's a step in the right
> direction and it's 'the direction' we need to take in FreeBSD.
>
> However, it will certainly break existing support for most desktop users
> which user serial/network/disk device drivers.  However, if it's
> important for them to have things working the way they've expect to in
> the past, they should either replace their desktop machines with fast
> laptops or submit code to fix the problems with the existing code-base
> that doesn't fit into the new 'swappable' system."
>
> Needless to say, this attitude won't buy me any friends.

I have always said that devfs is an option and I think it should be
the default option, because 98% of people don't
change the permissions on devices, but I would be happy with it
just being  an easily available Non default option.

I think that 90% of the remaining people could be satisfied with
an rc.devs to change permissions of devices that are in some way
special. that leaves 10% of 2% (0.2%) of maniacs who have to run
/dev on their root partition using ufs.

They of course don't see their new devices and slices show up as needed,
and they don't automatically have the right number of ptys,
and when they add a pc-card and run the lkm, they also have to make
all the devices and they have old crap floating around in /dev
for devices they long since threw away  etc. etc. etc.
but then that's how it is now so they should be happy.
of course they also can't use the new volume manager
or the bsd streams layers either because those REQUIRE
a dynamic device interface, but they didn't
have those things before either, so they should still be happy.

personally I think that If it's insisted that I add persistance
before it becomes generally available then it'll never happen.
I need it to be in use with a wider audience or it'll never
getthe bugs shaken out of it enough for me to go much further with it..

BTW I just discovered a bug with it that I am trying to figure out..

mount -t devfs devfs /mnt
mount /mnt/wd0e /mnt2
umount /mnt2
[process hangs]

I know what it is but it's a really tricky problem that I HOPED would
not happen because it's a bitch to get around..
it's incompatibel in some ways to have one vnode for all instances of
a device (e.g. /dev/tty and /chroot/dev/tty)
AND
solve this problem..
because if they have the same vnode,
Which mount point does it reference?
and it must reference ONE of them, because
mount hangs the super block off
it and oh well, I guess I can solve it with another level
of indirection.. you can solve  ANYTHING with enough levels
of indirection...

julian