Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:43:56 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I need /var/db/portsnap/distfiles and /usr/port/distfiles?

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 08:32:17 +1100 (EST)
Dave Horsfall wrote:

> There is only the one FreeBSD box in my stable, hence I don't need to
> build packages for others.

It's to to do with whether you use ports, rather than if you build
package for other boxes.

> It's a somewhat minimalist box (all I can
> afford), and I'd like to recover some space.  Can I just delete their
> contents?
>
> aneurin# du -sk /usr/ports/distfiles /var/db/portsnap/files
> 965198	/usr/ports/distfiles

This is a cache, so you can delete it, or trim it with distclean
(installed with portupgrade), or portmaster.

> 106594	/var/db/portsnap/files

If you don't use portsnap then you can delete everything
under /var/db/portsnap. Don't delete these files if you do.