Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:47:55 -0500
From:      "Mikhail Evstiounin" <evstiounin@adelphia.net>
To:        <evo01@sears.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ISA ethernet cards

-----Original Message-----
From: evo01@sears.com <evo01@sears.com>
To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Monday, January 24, 2000 3:00 PM
Subject: ISA ethernet cards

>I currently have my freebsd 3.1 with 3 ethernet cards.   One is Realtek PCI
>card.  Device name is rl0.   The 2nd card is ISA 3COM 3C309B at 0x300 IRQ
10.
>Device name is ep0.   The 3rd card is also an ISA 3COM 3C309B which kernel
found
>it at 0x300.   I reconfigured my kernel to add ep1 at 0x300 with IRQ = 11.
>However, system complained that the 3rd ethernet card is not probed because
it
>occupies the same memory segment (0x300).    How can I force kernel to
probe the
>3rd card or is there a way I can assign the 3rd card to occupy at a
different
>memory segment? (like 0x250?)

Never saw 3C309B - are sure it's 309B - not 509B?

If it's 509B then you could fo the following:
Go to 3com web site to the support area
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509b.htm
and download V6.1 Ether disk (or go to ftp://ftp.3com/pub/nic/3c509 and
download two files - 3c509x1.exe and 3c509x2.exe) unpack everything on two
floppies. Boot MS DOS without any extra drivers. On the second disk you can
find 3c5x9cfg.exe - run it and configure card like you want. Note, that
everytime you set up some parameter conflicting with other cards, the
program will warn you, but it allows to save parameters in any case.
Also I recomend to download 3Com NIC detection utility. It allows you to
detect any 3Com cards (if you run it from MS DOS), prints all parameters for
all cards even they have conflicting parameters -
ftp://ftp.3com/pub/nic/crdfnd.exe

Hope, it will help.