Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      charon@labs.gr
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/31392: fmt(1) does format nroff source ...

The following reply was made to PR bin/31392; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: charon@labs.gr
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, kurt@boolean.net
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:11:05 +0200 (EET)

 >   Description
 >
 >    fmt(1) provided with 4.4 does not recongize nroff directives
 >    and treats lines containing them as regular text.  Previous
 >    versions previously recongized nroff directives and only
 >    formatted text outside of these directives.
 >
 >   How-To-Repeat
 >
 >    fmt <<EOF
 >    .ti 0
 >    fmt should produce two lines, not one.
 >    EOF

 The rewrite of fmt(1) at revision 1.12 -> 1.13 of fmt.c behaves differently,
 but this is not really a bug.  The new fmt(1) tries to fill as much of the
 input line as possible before sending it to the output stream, while the
 former fmt(1) implementation copied '\n' to it's output unchanged, thus
 keeping the lines that are shorter than the `goal length' to their original
 length.

 I'm not sure if the original behavior was more `correct' or more `wrong'
 in some sense, but this is definitely a change in behavior.  I tested fmt
 from RELENG_4_3_0_RELEASE today, and fmt of -CURRENT and they do behave
 differently :-/