Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 23:36:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asbestos suited static vi

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > You're completely missing a major point.  Your argument is that there
> > are some good reasons for some of us to want it.  No argument.  If you
> > want it adopted, you'd have to argue that your reasons are strong enough
> > to override the equally good reasons some *don't* want it.
> >
> > In other words, you want it, and you want to force everyone to have it,
> > even though you can supply it yourself adequately.  Many disagree with
> > that part of it.
>
> Having calmed down enough to actually read some of the emails sent both
> to the list and to me personally, I'm starting to agree that it might not
> be the best idea to have a static vi as a default.  However, I still
> believe strongly that it's a desirable option in some cases, and I think
> it should be easier than digging through makefiles, moving a bunch of
> files around, etc; a package-type deal could well be perfect.

You realize how simple it is?  There's nothing like you hint above, just
one line:

make NOSHARED=1 clean depend all install

that's it, done and installed, in the correct directory.  Oh, I didn't
include that you have to do it from the vi source directory, and you
have to actually have the sources.  It's not some big song and dance.
This, of course, changes what all books on BSD unix will tell you, and
specifically contradicts those few texts that tell you something about
how to handle emergencies, but if you read that much, you ought to be
able to handle the difference.

If you don't, heck, vi is probably the wrong editor anyhow, you'd want
ee, which is simple enough for anyone.

Last comment: if you really want a port, did you realize it's ALREADY
there?  Look at /usr/ports/editors/nvi.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |