Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jin@george.lbl.gov
To:        tom@embt.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P-II vs K6-2

> As for your lack of luck getting Celerons to 100MHz bus speeds, what speed
> chips have you been trying to overclock?  I ask because the average
> capability of the Mendocino core (although ever changing) seems to be
> around 450-500MHz.  Some are better or worse, but because of this many
> 333MHz and up Celerons won't hit 100MHz bus because their core can't take
> it.  300A's are the natural choice, as their fixed 4.5x multiplier on a
> 100MHz bus gives a core speed that is obtainable by the majority of chips
> (450MHz).

Notice that ALL K6-II/III and P-II/III are at fixed bus multiplexer.
Only overclock is to over clock the bus speed.

> Also, use of a quality motherboard is helpful in overclocking.

I am using ASUS P2B-B/F and P2B. I will get some P99ZX soon.
I can overclock P-III-450 to 500 (110 MHz bus), so it sounds like not the
motherboard problem. Just think the ALL Celeron may be made by same quality
silicon, maybe 475MHz is the top speed.  So, 300 one can run at 100 MHz bus,
but 400/433/466 will only run at 75/83 MHz bus clock. To result maximum CPU
speed about 450-525.
So, may be the right choice is to buy 300A CPU instead any thing above it
for best performace/price.

The difference will be the heat. overclock 400 to 450/500 will NOT increase
the CPU temperature. And you said overclock 300 to 450 needs a better cooling
sink/fan.

	-Jin