Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 13:52:38 -0400
From:      "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   partitions

Trying to get an understanding of how i should partition the hard disk
before I attemp my first
 install of FreeBSD 4.0.  I will install only FeeBSD on a 6gb hd. I will
remove all existing
 partitions on the disk - it will be totally "cleaned-out".

I assume freebsd will setup its own native file system (vs. fat16) durring
the installtion. (good)

 But what about the partition  ( SLICES) scheme? -
 -   # of partions needed,
 -   size of each partition
what do i do? traditionally i read
 a: is the system's root files,
 b: is the swap area,
 c: refers to the whole disk.

to complicate i read a recomendation:
to "create" 5 partitions for /, swap, /var, /temp, /usr - what's this about?
I a newbie so while you're at it: what's the /var, /temp dirs for? what's
the rational behind this scheme-

what do you recommend?

Thanks