Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 07:52:54 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        chrisk@tpgi.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 or ed1?

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 12:07:01AM +1000, Chris Keladis wrote:

> ed1: <NE2000 PCI Ethernet (RealTek 8029)> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.11.0
> ed1: address 00:00:01:00:a6:f7, type NE2000 (16 bit)
>
> And in the kernel config file, i've specified:
>
> device ed0

I think the reasoning goes like this, and I'm sure someone will correct
me if I'm wrong:

PCI devices are discovered earlier in the boot process than ISA devices.
Therefore, when PCI devices are found, the kernel doesn't yet know what
ISA devices will be present.

If a driver supports both PCI and ISA devices (as "ed" does), PCI unit
numbers will start at 1, to leave 0 available for ISA devices found later.

This phenomenon is also observed with "pcm", the sound driver.  It
seems that PnP ISA devices are found before non-PnP ones, so most people
with PnP sound cards end up with a pcm1 instead of a pcm0.

This behavior is normal and expected, and you shouldn't worry about it.

Matt

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Science rules.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *