Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:41:48 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: man.cgi links in FAQ

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 06:56:10AM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> I think we can add them...  No-one has shot me for adding a w3m(1)
> entity yet, anyway, and there's already some ports man.foo entities
> (cvsup(1) for example).

And jade is able to handle large numbers of entities.  I've added almost
3300[1] entities to my local copy of man-refs.ent and I'm still able to build
the FAQ and the handbook.

The effect on the build time is minimal. make clean;time make in
/usr/doc/en.../books/handbooks yields:

First run: with complete set of entites (3514)
real    2m59.574s
user    2m55.689s
sys     0m0.978s

Second run: only the standard entites (220)
real    2m57.580s
user    2m55.323s
sys     0m0.931s

The ports tree shouldn't add more than another 5K entities. You could
try to harvest the man entities from bento.

/s/Udo
[1] 3294, to be exact. Ok, entities like &man...1; (for "[(1)"),
&man.g...1; (for g++(1)) or &man...syscall.2; for "__syscall(2)" look
strange. Unfortunately, neither [ nor + are allowed in entity names.

--
I have learned over the years, that if it is the truth you seek, then
honesty on your own part, is the best policy. That and torture.