Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:58:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        Terry Dwyer 61 8 9491 5161 <tdwyer@io.telstra.com.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR810 (or 875) & Asus P55T2P4 & Overclocking ?

Terry,

Thanks for the info.  It's actually it's a P5-233MMX.  The MB is rev 3.1 /
BIOS rev 203.  The memory is 4 32 meg simms (totaling 128meg), 60ns EDO,
which was unfortunately purchased from a not-so-reputable store, so it
could be the memory.  It seems to run fine at 75MHz, though.  I can't
afford to replace the memory now.  I'll just make do with 3.5X and 75MHz.
I actually did a comparison of make -k world between 66 and 75 MHz bus
speeds, 233 and 266 MHz respectively.  Under the same conditions, with a
make clean and /usr/obj being empty the difference was marginal; only 14
minutes faster at 75 MHz.

Now that I have an extra SCSI controller supported by FBSD, I'm thinking
of running 1 drive on each controller to verify if there will be any
difference by reducing the traffic on the SCSI bus.  I don't think this
will make too big of a difference.  My ultimate goal is to reduce my make
world time.  The best results so far have been 2:06:37 (I think that
included building the profile libs).

Oh, BTW, the cache is 512K on the board (no external PB module).  To get
250 I had to drop the multiplier down to 3.0X.  I tried it at 3.5X and 83
MHz, but couldn't even get into BIOS (if I did the math correct that would
be almost 290 MHz, I doubt the motherboard could handle that!).

- burton -