Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 07:00:53 -0500
From:      "Paul A. Howes" <pahowes@fair-ware.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What NIC to choose ?

Marcel-

Intel cards are the best supported in FreeBSD, but I found that in
general, they are not worth the high price they usually command.
Several months ago, I bought all NetGear equipment:  The FS108 (100Mbps
full/half-duplex 8-port switch) and several FA311 100Mbps
full/half-duplex PCI network cards.  These are happily humming away in
all of my systems.

Windows XP has built in drivers for this card, but earlier versions do
not; use the supplied floppy in that instance.  FreeBSD supports the
FA311 with the sis driver, but you need miibus compiled into your kernel
as well.  The support is good enough that I'm using a pair of these
cards in my Internet router/firewall machine.

I found the cards on sale at Best Buy, here in the US.  They're normally
$19, but you can find them for $14 or even $9 if you follow the sales at
Best Buy.  The switch was $90.

Good luck!

--
Paul A. Howes