Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:21:02 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5r -> current upgrade

jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon) writes:
>Does this mean that the biggest performance boost comes from adding an
>additional controller?  Hm.  I was thinking my poor little DX2/66 was
>mainly CPU bound.  I'll have to try putting in a spare 1542 into my EISA
>machine and seeing if that makes a difference.

In my experience, you will never do any better with a 486.  It *is*
CPU bound.  Or at least a 486 will have much higher latency
(turn-around from servicing a completed SCSI task to queuing another
task).

Less than four hours sounds a little *too* good for a *full* make
world on any 486.  Are you sure you didn't have some things turned off
(like building profiled libs, or formatting man pages (I'm not even
sure FreeBSD does that, like NetBSD does))?

The world trees have definitely diverged, but I don't think the times
will be that far off.  My relative times for my personal "make world"
script (I call it "doall") on NetBSD, which does a few things
redundantly, then clean builds a kernel, are as follows -- this is a
full clean build, remaking all dependencies, reformatting all man
pages, building all versions of the libraries, etc.:

	486-133MHz:		A little over 6 hours
	Pentium-120MHz:		3:15
	Pentium Pro-200MHz:	1:21

486: NICE SuperEISA 486 motherboard, AMD 5x86 133MHz, 512K L2
     write-back cache, 24MB RAM, BusLogic BT747s Fast/Narrow EISA SCSI
     controller, 2 - HP 1GB Fast/Narrow SCSI-2 hard drives striped as
     a ccd

P5: Asus P/I-P55TP4N (Triton-1) motherboard, Intel Pentium 120MHz,
    512K L2 pipeline-burst cache, 64MB EDO RAM, Adaptec 2940UW
    Ultra/Wide PCI SCSI controller, same hard drives

P6: Asus P/I-P6NP5 (Natoma) motherboard, Intel Pentium Pro 200MHz 256K
    L2 cache, 64MB EDO RAM, same SCSI controller and drives

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net