Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:11:11 +0200
From:      Nomad <mailman@crypton.pl>
To:        Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: esp tunnel without gif(4) [Was Re: vpn1/fw1 NG toipsec/racoontroubles, help please ...]

Hello,

Hm, advantages or disadvantages... possibility of sniffing packets is disadvantage in security manner I thing...
Anyway building firewall rules to the IPSec connection configured without gif interface is also possible. I have this on my IPSEc VPN gateway.
Packets goes via ipfw 2 times: first encoded, in normal IPv4 form, second time encapsulated in EPS frames.
Of course my rules are applied on the first visit of packets in my ipfw.
I don't know if it works the same whet sysctl's fw_onepass is set to 1 (on my gateway is set to 0) but filtering packets before they passed to the IPSec tunnel is possible and it works without gif's.
I think that it will be work on workstations (in my case there are gateways).
Of course in that case sniffing is possible to:with ipfw's tee, fwd or divert rules. On gateway it's posiible to sniff on "clear" interface and compare it with ESP traffic on "encrypted" interface.
Anyway: without gif's you are not blind.

Nomad