Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:08:04 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial console

At 9:24 +1000 10/18/01, Gregory Bond wrote:
>If this is an old machine that was installed with an old version and
>has been upgraded, then you will probably be running the original boot blocks.
>Try installing the latest boot blocks with disklabel.

I see in the source that boot2 reads the /boot.config file.  Since it
basically prints a line immediately after reading a command and I am
not seeing that line, I suspect boot2 is not being used.  Here is
what I see during the boot.

<BIOS stuff>  ends with:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ...........

F1    FreeBSD
F5     Drive 1

Default:  F1

-

It then sits there for a minute or so.  If I type a key then I get

>>  FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

entering a -h there causes the serial console to work.

If I don't type a key then I get:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console:  internal video/keyboard
etc.