Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:24:29 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dangerously looking glitch (4.0-STABLE)

Jon Hamilton wrote:

> In message <38EA2CD6.24636F65@altavista.net>, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> } This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> } --------------3D64CAE46133EFA188180FFD
> }
> } Hi,
> }
> } I've tried to track down why my own script which is cleaning non-matching
> } distfiles from time to time produce incorrect results (just cvsup'ed 4.0).
> } After some digging I've found that this bug could be easily reproduced by doi
> } ng
> } "find -exec md5" on large set of files several times consequiently, and then
> } comparing results. You can see that md5 checksum of the one of the files is
>
> How many in a "large set"?  I tried 10 passes on my 4.0-stable machine
> and was not able to replicate your results, though I only have about 500
> files in my distfiles.  I tried the same in /usr/src, and in another
> area with both large and small files (393,000 total), all of which came
> up clean.  I think you have a hardware problem somewhere :(

I've tried it on my home machine and failed to reproduce also. However it is
strange, because if it is the CPU/Memory problem, then there should be other signs
- random applications crashes, spontaneous reboots etc., but machine is pretty
stable - up and running for weeks since 4.0-REL w/o any notable problems. On the
other hand if it is HDD problem or problem with its cable, then there should also
be some signs. I've never seen this problem on the same hardware  under 2.* and 3.*
during past 1.5 years. Maybe it is ata driver, because it is the only thing that is
known not very extensively tested (and has already acknoweleged problems with some
hardware). I'll try to fallback to the wd and look what will happen.

-Maxim