Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 08:52:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Nick <fb@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is Acroread4 from ports supposed to work on 4.1?

Nick writes:
 > I recently installed FreeBSD 4.1 on my AlphaStation 200 and I love it.
 > I have the osf compat stuff working (because Netscape works fine).
 > I did a make install from /usr/ports/print/acroread4 and the osf/1
 > version of acroreader 4.05 was installed.  When I try to run acroread
 > I get the error 'Illegal instruction'
 >
 > Does anyone else have acroreader4 up and running?

I seem to remember that acroread 4 uses newer ev56 instructions
(probably something bwx related).  So it works great on newer alphas
(21164a and newer).

Tru64 catches the trap and emulates the instruction.  Similar to
fixing up unaligned accesses, this is very slow.  None of the open
souce alpha OSes do this AFAIK.

So, the best you can do is run acroread 3.x.

Hope that helps,

Drew