Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 12:17:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Randall Hopper stands accused of saying:
> >
> >      I'd leave it enabled in my kernel with a nifty picture if it would
> > auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons login prompt.
>
> Hmm, I don't actually think it should disappear with the login prompt;
> it should stay there being pretty if the system isn't being dinked with.

What about an IOCTL call which can turn the splash screen on and off?
Or a sysctl variable which can be set to the number of minutes idle time
on the console before the splash screen is re-established.  Setting it to
0 would disable the splash.

> >   - A MSW95 LOGO.SYS converter for lifting cool pre-built splash pages
> >     of the net and flipping them into FreeBSD :-) (Slap me, I'm dreaming :-)
>
> I'm sure they're just BMP images slapped on the back of an executable...

Any chance of a program which can just patch /kernel directly?

> Basically, I'm strapped for time (2 assignments and a 10min presentation
> 1000km away to complete in the next week, and then it's exam-cram time)
> just now, but I'll bear this in mind next I get a chance to work on it.

Good luck with the exams and presentation.  Another trip to Melbourne?

Danny