Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:41:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP firewall question

Hi,

While investigating FreeBSD's IP firewall (ipfw(4)) stuff, I heard
this claim somewhere: "FreeBSD's firewall code reorders rules, and
is therefore bad because this can change the intent of the rule list".

I understand how applying rules in a different order can change the
semantics of the firewall... but can someone explain exactly how and
why the FreeBSD code does this?

Also, is there some method of adding the rules which guarantees
the order in which they are applied? I'm willing to work on fixing
it if there is a need.

Thanks,
-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com