Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:03:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   anonymous rsync or RSA Auth with empty passwd?

Hello,

I am in the process of making a "hot" copy of our main server here. The
logical way (at least in my mind) would be to use rsync. I want to run it
through a cron job every night or so. I believe I basically have two
options here. One would be run rsync as a daemon and allow anonymous
connections to it and copy the data like that. There are some security
measures with the rysncd.conf such as hosts allow and hosts deny and some
other things you can do as far as a security precaution. I just don't like
the thought of having anonymous copying off our data. The second way would
be to login as root with rysnc using empty rsa passwords. There are
obvious security risks with that. Which way would the people on this list
proceed with the task? Are there alternatives that I am missing that would
be better? Thanks for the time. Have a good one.