Date:      Mon, 31 May 2021 20:54:35 -0700
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        Fas Xmut <fasxmut@protonmail.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysrc bug

> On May 31, 2021, at 16:07, Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
>>=20
>> Also, changing the root shell is bad for many reasons and I'm not
>> surprised that something doesn't work.
>=20
> Surprised this old myth is still being repeated.  Having used various
> root shells in FreeBSD and other Unux/Linux systems for decades I have to
> ask specifically what said reasons are, particularly considering
> /usr/sbin/sysrc starts with "#!/bin/sh" (as does and should every system
> shell script).

It=E2=80=99s likely due to the quoting behavior of newlines passed as the ar=
gument when he ran the script, which varies between shell implementations. A=
s I said, I=E2=80=99m not surprised something broke because many utilities a=
re not tested with different shell behaviors.

I also believe if we have a reproducible test case, we should go ahead and f=
ix it.

Gordon=