Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:24:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts@clark.net>
To:        Robert Hanson <roberth@cet.com>
Cc:        Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>, firewalls@GreatCircle.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYN floods - possible solution? (fwd)

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Robert Hanson wrote:

> im thinking dec alpha with 64 bit OS...
>
> is there 64 bit FreeBSD coming? Evidently Linus is working on
> Linux/Alpha...

Linux/Alpha is real now, not "being worked on", and is pretty much
merged into the current devel. tree, Sparc/Linux is very close to being
officially part of the source tree as well.

RedHat sells a Linux distribution for the Alpha on CD, though as of 2.0,
any distribution should be find, and you can always FTP it.

> IMHO pentiums are consumer class product (read affordable for most).... my
> observations are that other than "basic" affordability pentium stuff isnt
> really scalable... every new chip only affords "price" hosabilty cycle all
> over again for the mfgs....

It's still I/O speed for the most part, and the AXP systems have PCI buses
just like the Pentiums.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts@clark.net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280