Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 23:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Eugeny Kuzakov <kev@lab321.ru>
Cc:        Luiz de Barros <luiz@nlink.com.br>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and getty Auto Sensing PPP.

> > Hi ALL,
> >
> > I have FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE with getty auto-sensing PPP but am not being
> > able to recognize users that logon using PAP.
> >
> > What would be the command line i should call throght gettytab?

> You need use mgetty software.

Actually, I had set up PPP on a 2.2.1-R box with a Cyclades card using
straight getty.  The newer version autosenses PPP and uses PAP/CHAP for
authentication also.  I have successfully gotten it to work through
dialing in on a Win95 machine through DUN using PAP.

Here is a sample of my config files, should you need more info, mail me
back.

Passwd entry:

garyppp::1006:32::0:0:Gary Margiotta PPP:/home/garyppp:/usr/sbin/pppd

/etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:

* * ""

/etc/ppp/options:

38400 (set to own correct DTE rate, hayes compatible are usually 57600)
-detach
+pap
auth
crtscts
modem
passive
netmask 255.255.255.224
login
proxyarp
asyncmap 0
dns1 208.192.6.5  (obviously substitute your own DNS machines here, though
dns2 208.208.122.5 if they set up their own DNS servers in control panel
		   -> networks, this may be omitted)

/etc/ppp/options.ttyc01 (yours would be options.ttyd*)

208.192.6.22:208.192.6.51 (this assigns an IP and binds it to this
			  machine)

Also, don't forget to make sure the machine is running routed or gated so
it can forward packets out from it, otherwise they will not be able to go
anywhere outside of the box.

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net