Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 20:30:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      VEGA <vega@d132-h017.rh.rit.edu>
To:        Josh <alf2@swbell.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Important questions.

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Josh wrote:

> I am wanting to install 2.2.6.  I have a few questions though.
>
> Is the 2.2.6 C++ compiler ANSI/ISO standard?

to my knowledge it is

> Can I use the JAVA ICQ on FreeBSD?

yes but dont bother. it is total garbage, mirabilis should be embarrassed
for putting out such a piss poor product.
go to http://www.portup.com/~gyandl/icq/ and use one of the
implementations there. not all parts of the icq protocol are in these
implementations yet, but they are a helluva lot better than javaicq

> Do any of you have ICQ?   What is your #?

yeah but i dont use it too often

> Would it be smart for me to only run FreeBSD without running windows 95?

of course ;)

> How do I connect to the internet using FreeBSD?

depends on how you plan to connect: modem, ethernet, cable modem?

> How do I check my email using freebsd?

once again: it depends. i receive mail right at my machine, but there are
several clients available to login to pop servers and retrieve mail that
way

> How necessary is a kernel?

you cant boot without one

> Where should I download the ports collection to/from?

ftp.freebsd.org or one of its mirrors is where you get it.
(its also distributed on the cds if you get them from walnut creek)
on your system it would most likely end up in /usr/ports/ and its various
subdirectories

> Should i be installling 2.2.6?

3.0 is scheduled to be released this friday i believe, but if you have
2.2.6 on cd already then you will have a much easier time installing it
that way and upgrading to 3.0 with cvsup

hope this helps...