Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 00:19:59 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

[to advocacy]

Rober Withrow <witr@rwwa.com> said:
:
: mike@smith.net.au said:
: :- there are  certain classes of users that it's in our interests _not_
: :- to attract.
:
: So, Mike, when will you be issuing the official FreeBSD Qualification Test
: (FQT), and issuing a License to Use FreeBSD (LUF)?
:
: Sheesh!  :-(

The sarcasm wasn't really helpful was it?  Actually, some certification
program may be useful to help advance FreeBSD.

Sorry, I agree with Mike here.  IMHO, the major thrust of FreeBSD's
marketing efforts should continue to be directed toward competent
computer professionals, at least for now.

It's more exciting (to me at least) when -core and the top developers
of FreeBSD concentrate on architectural and system features which
help attract first-rate developer talent.

The time for marketing to the mainstream will come but jumping the gun
and bringing hordes of whiny illiterates onto the backs of the FreeBSD
developers right now will only serve to impede progress toward that goal.

That said, FreeBSD is a wonderful system for newbies and pros alike.
It helps to have a competent professional around for help but I've
seen quite a few totally green users suceed too.  Quite often, they
succeed simply because they have good manners and are polite when
asking for help.

The kind of user who won't read, can't formulate a coherent question
or submit a useful bug report is a parasitic burden and (IMHO) should
not be coaxed away from what they are currently using, _unless_ it's
FreeBSD.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net